4935 Magazine Street
Since 1959, this uptown address was known as the St. Vincent De Paul thrift shop. Built in the 1920’s, the Spanish mission-style structure was unique for Magazine Street. The project revitalization was completed by Malin Construction.
The Vitamin Shoppe was the first tenant to sign on to the 11,000 square foot building in 2005. It currently occupies half of the building. Most recently, world famous local Chef John Besh, opened Pizza Domenica. The neighborhood restaurant run by Chef Alon Shaya, of the Besh Group, specializes in wood burning pizzas with local ingredients. Construction for this portion of the building was completed by Spartan Construction.
Whole Foods Arabella Station
December 4, 2002, the highly anticipated redevelopment of a historic bus barn in uptown New Orleans was completed. Whole Foods Market opened in grand style in Arabella Station, a transit barn fronting Magazine Street. The structure was redeveloped to include a 28,000 square foot retail space for Whole Foods with additional parking in the rear.
Arabella Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1894. The “bus barn” as it became known, sat unattended since 1985, until the City of New Orleans made the property available for bidding to private developers.
Sarpy/Hixon Development recreated the building in it’s original form, using many of the same materials dating back to 1891. All renovations are in compliance with National Park Service regulators and were completed by Malin Construction.
Whole Foods Veterans
In 2005, under the development of Sarpy/Hixon LLC, a second Whole Foods Market opened in the metro New Orleans area. The 53,000 square foot store resides at 730 Veterans Memorial Boulevard across from Lakeside Mall. The market is substantially larger than the Arabella Station Whole Foods that opened in 2002. The larger space enables the market to offer a vast variety of organic foods and products. The lead architect was Kirby Pecot and the construction was completed by Malin Construction.
Ragged Mountain Farm Distillery
Ragged Mountain Farm Distillery is a micro-distillery that is located on the American Whiskey Trail. Chris Sarpy is a partner in the corporation that was established in the Commonweath of Virginia. Initial plans call to manufacture, market, and sell premium bourbon. The consultant for this project is Dave Pickerell. Ragged Mountain Farm Distillery will produce bourbon with high quality local ingredients and use the local water supply from the springs that form Ivy Creek on the property.
Ragged Mountain Farm
In December of 2010, Chris Sarpy joined Ragged Mountain Partners in purchasing 28 single family lots and the sole remaining preservation tract in Ragged Mountain Farms subdivision. Named for the deep-forested slopes which border the property, it is located just west of Charlottesville and minutes from the University of Virginia. Forty estate parcels range in size from three to over one hundred acres with the majority in the three to six acre range. The land at Ragged Mountain Farm offers amazing views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and pastoral views of Ivy Valley. In 2013, one of the gorgeous estates was featured as a Southern Living showcase home. Ragged Mountain Farm represents the best of traditional country estate living.
730 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
Sarpy Development entered into a ground lease on a 32,000 square foot commercial property in front of the former Foodies located on Veterans Memorial Boulevard. This parcel consists of a portion of the parking lot from Foodies and a 60 x 120 adjacent parcel that was purchased by the Gisevius family. Allied Construction completed the 8,672 square foot retail center in 2014. Metro Studios was the architect firm on the project. The initial tenants are Starbucks, Moe’s Southwest Grill, South Rivage Dental, and Jamba Juice. Starbucks was the first tenant open for business on March 14, 2014. Jamba Juice was the last business to open it’s doors, having their grand opening October 1, 2014.
2802 Magazine Street
The Garden District received a new mixed use development in February of 2016. The construction is approximately 4,000 square feet of ground floor commercial use and over 10,000 square feet above for residential apartments. It is located on the corner of Washington Avenue facing historic Magazine Street. The seven luxury residential units range in size from 1,450 to 2,100 square feet. The ground floor space has been leased to Brick and Spoon Restaurant. The restaurant opened late February 2016. In September 2014, Travel and Leisure Magazine voted Brick and Spoon as one of the Best Breakfast restaurants in the United States. The lead architect is John Bohlke and Allied Construction is the general contractor for the development.
Chris Sarpy is also a developer in a new 92 acre mixed use development located in Albemarle County, Virginia. The plans call for 32 acres of open space and linear parks. There will be a mixed use village center where a restaurant, office space and a fitness facility will be located. Among the single family homes there will be a neighborhood central park. The park amenities include: basketball courts, tennis courts, pavilions, a dog park, water features and a trail system. The landscape architect is Mark Keller with Terra Concepts.
New Projects Under Construction
600 Metairie Road
In the heart of Old Metairie, a new 9,094 square foot commercial development is underway. The site faces historic Metairie Road, adjacent to the railroad tracks. The development will accommodate five tenants. They will include: Barre 3, I Pedi Spa, Pelican Coast clothing, Relish, and City Greens. The architecture plans were done by Metro Studios in New Orleans and the construction will be completed by Allied Construction.
212 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
The newest Sarpy Development, LLC project in Metairie will be a 3,585 square foot Raising Cane's Restaurant with an adjacent 5,000 square foot commercial space. The retail space will house three tenants. The property faces Veterans Memorial Boulevard close to the Metairie/New Orleans line. It is located between Lake Avenue and Carrollton Avenue.
910 West Esplanade Avenue
A 12,000 square foot structure, formerly a Western Auto, was converted into a shopping center with six retail tenants.
3770 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
Sarpy Development, LLC developed a 30,247 square foot prototypical Circuit City in the summer of 2007.